What type of driver’s license do I need to rent a motorcycle?

Types of driver’s license
In this post, we explain the specific types of motorcycle driving licenses in Spain. This way, you can understand which types of motorcycles each license allows you to rent.

Renting a motorcycle is a process where you must consider different aspects to choose the service that best suits your needs. Nowadays, there is an extensive motorcycle rental market, ranging from companies that rent mopeds for hours in the city to those renting high-displacement motorcycles for touring, such as REVV Ultimate Bike Tours.

Regardless of your choice, if you’re thinking of renting a motorcycle, the first thing to consider is the type of driver’s license you need to opt for different models. Some companies may even require a minimum validity period for the license: it could be one year for some and three years for others, depending mainly on the displacement and power of the vehicle.

Currently, there are five types of driver’s licenses in Spain that enable you to rent certain types of motorcycles. In this post, we want to analyze each of them in detail so you can be clear about which license you need to rent a motorcycle today.

AM Driver’s License for 50cc mopeds

The AM driver’s license is the simplest and most limiting of all. It is a straightforward license that allows you to drive two and three-wheeled mopeds with a maximum displacement of up to 50 cc. So, these will be the only moped models you can rent. It may also allow you to rent and drive light quadricycles.


A1 Driver’s License for motorcycles up to 125 cc

The next type of driver’s license is the A1, an ideal permit for those who want to rent slightly larger motorcycles than mopeds, with a maximum power of 11 Kw, a displacement of up to 125 cc (equivalent to about 15 hp), and a maximum power-to-weight ratio of 0.1 kW/kg. Additionally, the A1 driver’s license will also allow you to rent mopeds like those you could drive with the AM license.

B Driver’s License with more than 3 years for motorcycles up to 125 cc

In addition to A-type licenses, exclusive for motorcycle and moped driving, the B-type car license also allows the driving of two-wheeled vehicles with specific specifications. In this case, you can rent motorcycles with your car license as long as the license has a minimum of 3 years of validity. Also, you can only rent motorcycles allowed within the AM (mopeds) and A1 licenses, meaning motorcycles with up to 125 cc displacement and 11 Kw power.

Motorcycles up to 125 cc

A2 Driver’s License for motorcycles with power up to 35 Kw

The A2 driver’s license is an ideal permit for those who enjoy motorcycle riding and want to rent more powerful models, for example, for off-road driving or for a reliable vehicle for a long road trip. This license is much more comprehensive than any of the previous ones, as it allows you to rent motorcycles with a maximum power of 35 Kw, slightly more than 47 hp, and a power-to-weight ratio of 0.2 kW/kg.

Despite many riders being unaware or even believing that this license restricts the displacement to less than 500 cc, the A2 driver’s license does not impose any limitation on the motorcycle’s displacement that can be driven and, therefore, rented. As long as it complies with the maximum power standard, you could be renting a motorcycle of 800 cc without any problem. Also, keep in mind that the A2 driver’s license allows you to ride and rent any of the vehicles included in A2, A1, and AM licenses.

BMW F 750 GS

A Driver’s License for all types of motorcycles without power limit

The A driver’s license is the king of motorcycle driving permits. It is probably the license that every motorcycle enthusiast aspires to have one day to enjoy the freedom of driving any model without a power or displacement limit. If you have this license, motorcycle rental is entirely open to you, as you can drive anything from a 50 cc moped to a high-displacement motorcycle like the 1254 cc BMW R1250GS Triple Black 2023.

In short, the A license is the perfect license for any motorcycle enthusiast, allowing you to drive any vehicle included in A, A2, A1, and AM licenses. This license has no power limit for driving motorcycles, tricycles, and quadricycles without restriction.

Best Rental in Barcelona - Rent a Motorcycle BMW with REVV Travel

What license do I need to rent a motorcycle at REVV?

At REVV Ultimate Bike Tours, we only work with high-displacement and powerful motorcycles to ensure the best experience in our organized tours, regardless of the rental purpose. Our motorcycles range from the 853 cc and 58 Kw BMW F750GS to the incredible 1300 cc and 108 Kw BMW R1300GS. To rent any of our models, you will need to have a valid A-type driver’s license.

In addition, in our BMW motorcycle rental service in Barcelona, we will also ask you to be over 23 years old and have your driver’s license valid for more than 2 years. If you are a foreigner, you will need the international driving license, which you can easily request online through this link, and it will be ready in just 20 minutes.

International Driver's License

We hope that all these details about the types of driving licenses in Spain have been helpful for you to clarify what types of motorcycles you can rent for your next adventure. After all, being able to ride the motorcycle you’ve always dreamed of through a safe and reliable rental is an experience that every motorcycle enthusiast would love to have at least once in their life. So perhaps this could be the motivation you need to expand your motorcycle driving capabilities.

Share the Post:

Related Posts

Best motorcycle tours in Spain, Catalonia -BMW - REVV Travel

6 Scenic Motorcycle Routes for Spring

Spring is a wonderful time to plan motorcycle trips, with longer days and more stable temperatures. In this post, we uncover 6 unmissable motorcycle routes for this spring, where you’ll enjoy both riding and landscapes in equal measure.

Read More

Join our newsletter to stay updated